The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman on Monday condemned Israel’s latest large-scale military raid on the northern West Bank city of Jenin.
At a weekly press conference, Nasser Kanaani said the Israeli military offensive, which involved airstrikes and ground operations, is a “criminal move,” Iran’s official news agency IRNA reported.
Kanaani said the raid was a “bitter event,” because the Palestinians had committed no crime and were merely defending their natural rights.
At least eight Palestinians have so far been killed and 50 others injured in the raid, according to the latest figures released by the Palestinian Health Ministry.
Palestinian eyewitnesses said dozens of Israeli armored vehicles backed by drones and helicopters stormed Jenin and a refugee camp, adding that Israeli airstrikes were launched during the exchange of fire between Palestinian militants and Israeli soldiers.
The Israeli military said it attacked a joint operation center, which was used as a command center by militants from the Jenin Brigades, an armed unit made up of fighters from different Palestinian militant groups.